Thursday, November 17, 2011

My brother wrote a wonderful email two days ago that I would like to pass on. I couldn't say it better.

"Grandma Young entered hospice care today. My father has been praying for this day to come for two weeks. My grandmother has been ready to go to Heaven for years and now she will finally be rewarded with the ultimate grace. My family is not sad that we are losing her because she has wants the day to come most of all. She is well prepared to go in terms of everything on this earth as well. Did you know she has had a DNR (do not resuscitate) for something like 10 years? She has survived the great depression, shingles, pnuemonia at least once, I think her heart stopped once, she survived her husband, gave birth 3 times before 1955, never drove a car, never smoked, never counted a single calorie, and never let an opportunity to cook with raisins slip by nor a perfectly good piece of used wrapping paper. She will survive in my mind as she did when she lived in creston: dialing on her rotary phone and answering "Yhello?", rocking in her chair with her feet just barely brushing the carpet with each glide, shaking off a huge smile and saying "Well...." when my Dad gave her a tough time, paying me for the mowing with food or 2 dollar bills, and cooking the best left over pizza ever (still cant say I like chopped meatballs on my pizza), lovingly patting my head/hand/leg so long sometimes we though she forgot she was patting, and the other simple acts of kindness that could go on and on. One memory especially sticks out in my mind, imagine sleeping in a 12x10 room filled with over 100 dolls of all shapes, sizes, some 100 years old with porcelin heads as well as the latest Holiday Barbie. Each had at least two eyes and most had hand sew clothes compliments of my grandma's chubby, skillful fingers. This ensemble was like an Army of tiny human shaped soldiers, all dressed in their Sunday's best and smiling, was enough to scare the shit out of most children. Imagine a nightlight in there! ...She kept it in the hall. As scary as it could be, I dont remember ever being scared. To make me feel comfy, my grandma usually let me take one of the dolls to bed and I always chose the Glow Worm, even when it had no batteries. If we (I say we cus Nellie was usually near by) were lucky she would sing to us! She sang, "I'll see in the morning, i'll see you in the morning, I'll see you in the morning when the sun comes up!" Then with a wet, ill aimed kiss somewhere on my head and a twinkle of chubby fingers she bid us good night with a grin showing all of her teeth and some of her gold dental work, "i'll see you in the morning!" As we grew up and no longer needed the bid goodnight, when we got it, we smiled, and giggled to ourselves. After many family gatherings and swapping stories, Johanna has this line perfected. I think she says it to her kids somenights, and someday I hope to say it to my children too. But no way am I letting go of the Glow Worm. I hope she is rewarded soon. She deserves everything that awaits her." –Jubil Young

Today she finally got to see Grandpa. We will miss her greatly. Grandma Young truly was the sweetest woman on the earth. She was completely self-less all the time. I have never heard her complain about a thing, ever! I am looking forward to the family gathering to share more stories about Grandma and to laugh and cry. She was an awesome lady. And Jubil, the words she always said at bedtime was "I'll be seeing yoooou!!" We love you Grandma.







No comments: